We are currently seeking a Research and Development Engineerwho will work on laser communication system solutions. The Research and Development Engineer will ideally have experience in a space-related or communications-related industry, with a strong interest (preferably previous experience) in laser communications, along with a strong history of communicating with external customers and providing direction to internal suppliers. Self-motivation and the ability to work independently or as part of a team are also required.
The R&D Engineer will assist in prototyping commercially feasible technical solutions for a variety of communications missions, including, but not limited to: Space to Ground, Airborne to Ground, Airborne to Space, and Inter-Layer Platforms links. They will become intimately knowledgeable with the latest laser communication industry trends, state-of-the-art capabilities, and will determine paths for commercialization. Working as part of the core R&D and Product team, the R&D Engineer will help develop and implement engineering strategies and technical roadmaps as the company grows into new markets and service offerings. Must have a strong willingness and desire to be a ‘jack-of-all-trades’ with an ability to find solutions to any identified skills gap through self-education or use of external resources.
• Perform complex analysis, test, design and/or development. Integrate & test prototype hardware and software solution sets in lab
• Analyze project requirements and develop detailed objectives and detailed planning, conceptual designs and risk analysis. Implement strategies for analysis, test and design against varying requirements
• Continuously monitor the industry for new product and technology developments. Assist in supplier and vendor solicitation for information and proposals
• Assist in the production of reports and design notes. Document and present results of analysis, test and design.
• Interact with internal and external customers. Assist the customer in defining system requirements and in the generation of specifications for products or sub systems. Support new business and prepare proposal material.
• Provide technical efforts with engineering team in the design, test, production and maintenance phases of a project.
• Develop and present materials for project related briefings including design reviews to be given to internal and external customers.
• Ideally a strong interest in or preferably, previous experience, in laser communications
• Experience with generating and/or manipulating mechanical CAD models, electrical schematics, interface control documents (thermal, mechanical, electrical, software, etc.). Understanding of environmental effects (thermal, radiation, mechanical vibration) on engineering products.
• Experience with optical components, especially in C-Band ITU wavelengths, interferometry, phase modulators, high-speed electronics (1 – 100GHz), Modem design, FPGA programming, COMSOL (or equivalent), MATLAB, Zemax (or equivalent), Optomechanical design, Design for manufacturability
• Experience with integrating technical products on to next-higher assemblies and ability to flow down requirements to lower-level sub-assemblies
• Ability to communicate effectively to engineers across a variety of technical disciplines
• Exemplary communication and presentation skills, and ability to handle high-stress situations
• Bachelor of Science in an Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or Computer Science related field. Strong preference for a background in free-space optics.
**This position may require exposure to information which is subject to US export control regulations, i.e. the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of U.S. regulations.**
BridgeComm, Inc. is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual preference/orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law.
BridgeComm is growing, and we are looking for motivated professionals to join our dynamic team. We believe in two things at BridgeComm: that optical communications is the future of fixed and mobile communications, and growth and innovation comes from a talented workforce.